I will skip ahead to the finale in the interest of time.
The most important point I believe comes when Yeshua is arrested from the Garden of Gethsemane and taken to the cohen godal (high priest) and the Sanhedrin. All 4 gospels render an account, Matthew and Mark are extremely similar, Luke is close but not exactly the same, and John is the most distant. It is very clear to me that Matthew, Mark and Luke all agree as to what transpired. The references are Matt 26:57-65 Mark 14-53-64 Luke 22:66-71 John 18:19-32.
Yeshua was betrayed, arrested and brought before the Sanhedrin for trial. It appears as if the trial was quite lengthy as they went through quite a few false witnesses. Finally two witnesses agree (important point in Jewish law) that they heard Yeshua say that he could tear down the temple and build it again in three days. I get the sense the cohen godal was frustrated and wanted something to happen and perhaps thought he finally had something to build a case. Thus far Yeshua sat completely silent through the countless testimonies (how excruciating if you think, really think about that for a minute). So, the cohen godal confronts Yeshua with a direct question.
“Tell us, are you the Messiah, Son of God?” (worthy of note is that the word here is not translated Adonai and therefore is most likely not the Name the tetragrammaton)
Here is where it gets very interesting. Yeshua chooses to answer with a quote from Psalm 110.
“I tell you one day you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of Adonai and coming on the clouds of heaven.”
This word is translated Adonai and is the Name and is the tetragrammaton. Right there before the whole assembly of the Sanhedrin and the cohen godal himself Yeshua utters the Name above all names. What is the reaction?
The cohen godal was so moved he tore is robes!! He shouted “Blasphemy! Why do we need more witnesses you heard him blaspheme?”
And that was the end of the trial. Yeshua had signed, sealed, and guaranteed his own death penalty. It was too close to Passover, and none of them wanted blood on their hands to prevent them from worshipping so what did they do. They shipped him to the roman authorities to deal with. The rest is history.
Here is the kicker. If we confess and believe that he is our Savior, the Son of Man, the Messiah as the cohen godal asked, then we must believe that he was sinless. And if we believe that then we must believe one of two things; either Yeshua actually did not utter the Name and the cohen godal and the Sanhedrin just falsely accused him, or we must believe that Yeshua did utter the Name above all names causing the once again violent reaction of the hearers (tearing of clothes and shouting Blasphemy) and conclude that uttering the name is no sin at all.
By now I do not have to tell you which of the two choices I believe. It certainly is possible to commit blasphemy but uttering the name is not one of those ways.
For the sake of brevity so we can move on, I will leave this topic. I hope someday to come back and fill in all the empty holes and make a complete argument. But for our purposes I will not be using the familiar (but incorrect and perhaps blasphemous on their part) names but rather the names Ya and Yeshua have given themselves in all their glory and splendor for all the world to hear.
(There is a sidenote of which I will not address fully but that is the actual pronunciations of the names. Unfortunately, at this point after 3 years of study I cannot tell you what they are. I do believe someone on this earth knows what the pronunciations are but I have not proven it to myself as of yet. They have been passed on as an oral tradition within one ore more very small sects within Judaism. There are some who think they know it, hopefully someday I will find it.)
Blessed be the Name!
Wednesday, October 24, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I have been thinking about you the last few days (my new classes have started and one of them is a study of Daniel/Revelation) and waiting for the continuation of this thread. Very thought-provoking. It makes me wish we could sit and talk again. I read the beginning of your calendar post as well. I look forward to seeing more.
Post a Comment